To support a project for Primary and Secondary School Students: September 2021 to June 2022
We are launching a major new science, technology and computing project for primary and secondary schools.
We are looking for volunteers (STEM Ambassadors) who will help us by working as a champion to support student teams with the following:
- Collect weather and air quality information (equipment will be supplied).
- Interpret, publish and share data in real-time with other schools – opportunity for coding and web development.
- Undertake a survey of student, staff or parent perceptions of air pollution.
- Design and carry out a scientific investigation into clean air, nitrous oxides or particulate matter. Or you can discuss your own idea with your CSES School Champion to develop your own unique study.
Do you have a few hours a month to support this exciting project?
Career development and volunteering opportunities with CSES
As it enters its centenary season, CSES (Chelmsford Science and Engineering Society) is looking for new volunteers to grow the core team and drive forward its recently launched strategy.
Are you looking for an opportunity to develop your career beyond the immediate day job? Perhaps you have some time to spare and would like to spend it supporting a local charity? Or do you enjoy volunteering for STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) education and would like to be more involved?
This is an excellent chance to make a real difference to our community. CSES volunteers actively contribute to, and influence, what goes on locally by representing a respected body and working with a wide range of other organisations, including local government, the education sector and businesses. It is also a chance to grow your network, whether personal or professional.
Remember: any time spent volunteering for CSES counts as Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and is a perfect complement – or coda (we know plenty of retired people enjoy this sort of thing!) – to a career in the STEAM or education sectors. We are already affiliated in some way with many local employers – and want to build relationships with more – working with us is good for your progression and employment prospects.
There are three specific areas where we are looking for more people:
Strategic development group
- Seeking excellent career progression opportunity?
- Passionate about the ‘big issues’ such as net-zero carbon and use of data / AI?
- Help us to map out the major issues and bring the right private and public sector partners together to drive change within Essex.
Community partnerships and network
- Want to make a difference to your local community at grassroots level?
- Enjoy working with others and/or looking to make new connections?
- Help us to build a network of similar organisations across Essex to share our resources and give the public wider visibility of events and activities.
Public engagement and educational events
- Enjoy making things happen and running with new ideas?
- Can you, for example, put together events, run projects and workshops, produce videos or come up with innovative ways of engaging online?
- Help us to expand and diversify our programme for schools and for the public to bring science and technology to all.
Read on to find out more about each of these. We are also always looking for people who can help in a more ad hoc capacity with specific projects and events.