We acknowledge our duty of care to safeguard and promote the welfare of all children or adults at risk and are committed to ensuring safeguarding practice which reflects statutory responsibilities, government guidance and complies with best practice.
Our safeguarding policy sets out how we will ensure that all individuals have:
- a positive and enjoyable experience of STEM activities organised by CSES in a safe environment; and
- protection from any abuse whilst participating in our activities.
The appendices to the policy define our associated procedures and practices.
All safeguarding queries should be addressed to the CSES President, who acts as the Designated Safeguarding Officer.
As a CSES volunteer, you may be required to sign the safeguarding policy and/or register as a STEM Ambassador to complete an enhanced DBS check. You may also need to be an active ("paid-up") CSES member. We will advise on the requirements for any particular activity.
To register as a STEM Ambassador, start by creating an account with STEM Learning. You will then need to complete an identification document check for your DBS clearance; the CSES Designated Safeguarding Officer can assist with this and act as a countersignatory if required.
To sign the CSES safeguarding policy and confirm details of your DBS clearance, you can:
- Complete your volunteer profile electronically via the CSES website (preferred).
- Download, complete and return a copy of the form at Appendix 3 above.
To complete your volunteer profile electronically:
- Log in to your CSES membership account.
- Select Volunteer profile from the menu.
- Complete the form as appropriate (see screenshot below for guidance).