CSES 2023-2024: Welcome
A packed programme for everyone to look forward to
We are delighted to announce that our 2023-2024 season is taking shape, with (nearly) all the talks for the year now confirmed, the socials for the remainder of 2023 in the diary (more to follow!) and other highlights such as the Chelmsford Science Festival on the horizon.
We are also pleased to be jointly hosting a STEM Conference with Drapers' Academy at Chelmsford Cathedral (15 Nov), and to be able to offer a unique opportunity for students to hear a talk by the former Head of Technology at British Cycling (6 Dec)! Looking forward to 2024, we will be running TEXPO and Do & Discover as usual, and at various careers fairs and other events.
Keep an eye on the events page of our website for the latest programme. Members can receive email updates with all the latest news and invitations, so if you haven't yet joined the society but are thinking about it, we would encourage you to do so now! It's an easy, online process – free for students/teachers and only £12 a year for everyone else.
Read on for the events in the calendar so far.
- Wed 11 Oct 2023 (evening): The Only Way Is Up? – Contemporary Architecture In Confined Spaces, a talk at ARU by Richard Cottrell of multi-award winning Cottrell and Vermeulen Architecture.
- Wed 18 - Tue 24 Oct (daytime and evening): Chelmsford Science Festival 2023 at ARU. An astonishing programme of FREE afternoon and evening talks, workshops, exhibitions and even a quiz.
- Sat 21 - Sun 22 Oct (daytime): Chelmsford Science Festival 2023 Family Science Days at ARU. A jam-packed day of hands-on, interactive science activities suitable for all ages.
- Thu 2 Nov (evening): CSES Curry at Balti King. Celebrate the "start of term" with us!
- Wed 8 Nov (evening): Engineering Atoms – Materials Technologies For Next-Generation Gas Turbine Applications, a talk at ARU by Dr George Wise (Rolls-Royce UTC and Department Of Materials Science And Metallurgy, University Of Cambridge).
- Wed 8 Nov (evening): CSES Annual General Meeting (AGM) 2023. Follows the talk, members are strongly encouraged to attend!
- Wed 15 Nov (daytime): STEM Conference for Sixth Form Students at Chelmsford Cathedral. Open to all schools.
- Wed 15 Nov (evening): The eBike Taking On The Automotive Industry, a talk at Ford Dunton Technical Centre by Tamara Ivancova, Founder and Director of Amara Automotive.
- Thu 30 Nov (evening): Relativity, a talk at ARU by Danny Thomas (IOP).
- Wed 6 Dec (daytime): The GB Team's Track Bike For The Tokyo Olympics, a talk at ARU by Professor Tony Purnell, former Head Of Technology at British Cycling. Open to all schools.
- Wed 6 Dec (evening): Cleaning Up Aviation, a talk at ARU by Professor Tony Purnell, Steering Group Member at the Aviation Impact Accelerator Project, Whittle Labs, University of Cambridge.
- Thu 14 Dec (evening): CSES Christmas Drinks and Dinner at The Ivory Peg.
- Wed 10 Jan 2024 (evening): Navigation and Control for an Autonomous Robotic Fruit Harvesting System, a talk at ARU by Dr Leo Geer, Electronic Engineer at BAE Systems.
- Wed 7 Feb (evening): Sizewell C: Power For Britain, a talk at ARU by Derek Harper, Chief Engineer, Atkins.
- Wed 27 March (evening): Cycling Aerodynamics And Why It's Harder Than F1, a talk at ARU by Dr Rob Lewis OBE, Managing Director, TotalSim Ltd.
- Wed 15 May (evening): The Little Car Company: The Bentley Blower Jnr, a talk at ARU by Keno Mario Ghae of The Little Car Company.
We hope to see you at these events and the many more we have planned for 2024! Keep an eye on the events page of our website for the latest programme.