Welcome to the 2022-2023 CSES programme
Return of talks and socials for the new season
Now that the worst of the Covid pandemic is behind us, and following the success of events over the summer such as Do and Discover and our Schools' TEXPO (see our COMPRESS newsletter for further information if you're interested), we are delighted to be returning to a full talks and social programme, alongside some new (regular) flagship events for families and the public.
It's still early days and we are still ramping back up – as are our partners such as the IOP, IET and IMechE – so please keep an eye out for new dates added to the diary over the coming months.
Read on for the events in the calendar so far.
- Wed 21 Sep (evening): Britain's most powerful steam locomotive, a talk at Ford Dunton Technical Centre by Chris Ardy (FP2 Steam Locomotive Company).
- Thu 22 Sep (evening): Cool and unruly – how disordered materials could refrigerate the world, a talk at ARU by Dr Anthony Phillips (Queen Mary University of London).
- Wed 5 Oct (evening): Alan Turing and his Machine, a talk at ARU by Damian Bevan.
- Wed 12 – Sun 30 Oct (daytime and evening): Gaia at Chelmsford Cathedral. The immersive art installation of the earth comes to Essex for the first time. Learn about Chelmsford's unique connection to the imagery and join CSES for a family activity during half-term.
- Thu 13 Oct (evening): CSES Curry. Socials are back! We'll stick to the Thursday evening format and aim to hold a social every two months.
- Sat 15 Oct (daytime): Chelmsford Science Festival 2022 (Family Science Day). Following the success of the British Science Festival, ARU will be hosting an annual Chelmsford Science Festival. Come and join CSES for even more fun, hands-on activities for all the family!
- Wed 2 Nov (evening): The Little Car Company, a talk at ARU by Keno Mario-Ghae (Head of Special Projects, The Little Car Company).
- Fri 11 Nov (evening): The First Broadcast – The Battle for the Beeb in 1922. Following on from the successful Writtle 2MT/BBC centenary celebrations earlier this year, British Comedy Award-winning writer Paul Kerensa will be performing his comic historical play at Christ Church.
- Wed 7 Dec (evening): Space Situational Awareness, a talk at ARU by Nick James (Lead Technical Officer, BAE Systems).
- Thu 15 Dec (evening): CSES Christmas Drinks and Dinner, our traditional year-end social returns at the usual venue.
We hope to see you at these events and the many more we have planned for 2023!
Please note that we will advise details of the 2022 Annual General Meeting (AGM) shortly.